How to output text to my own chatbox

Runes of Magic/Radiant Arcana (http://www.runesofmagic.com)
botje

How to output text to my own chatbox

#1 Post by botje » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:45 am

Like title suggest, i want to output ingame, so i dont have 2 windows to check for output.

but it must not be seen by others ofcourse.

Botje

lisa

Re: How to output text to my own chatbox

#2 Post by lisa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:20 am

well i've been trying to work out how to post to a diff chat window, no joy though.

I can tell you a macro of

Code: Select all

/Script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage('|cf0ffff00We are the champions') 
Works in posting to the General tab and won't be seen by others.
Or if making it with bot would look like

sendMacro("DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage('|cf0ffff00We are the Champions|r')") 
I pulled this from Rock's RBAssist.xml couldn't find any mention of the default chat frame on the wiki list of functions though.

If your trying to get a log of events, then maybe just untick all the channel options for general and just create a new channel and tick them all on there. Would leave the first tab for your messages and unfortunately the system messages.
Remember no matter you do in life to always have a little fun while you are at it ;)

wiki here http://www.solarstrike.net/wiki/index.php?title=Manual

botje

#3 Post by botje » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:35 am

thanx, im gonna try that ^^

Botje

rock5

#4 Post by rock5 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:15 pm

lisa wrote:couldn't find any mention of the default chat frame on the wiki list of functions though.
You wouldn't, as it's a frame. AddMessage is the function. But I couldn't fine reference of default chat frame in the frame list as well. Strange.

Anyway, that displays the messages in the main chat window regardless of the filter settings I think. If you want to send another type of message you could use 'SendSystemChat'. It sends an orange system message so I guess it would be filtered with the system messages if that help. I'm not aware of any other way.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

lisa

#5 Post by lisa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:54 pm

rock5 wrote: You wouldn't, as it's a frame. AddMessage is the function. But I couldn't fine reference of default chat frame in the frame list as well. Strange.

Anyway, that displays the messages in the main chat window regardless of the filter settings I think. If you want to send another type of message you could use 'SendSystemChat'. It sends an orange system message so I guess it would be filtered with the system messages if that help. I'm not aware of any other way.
I think he was trying to put his own messages as this does but to a different tab, so not to General but to "guild" as an example. So being able to post to say chat window tab 4 instead of 1 is what he is really after. I found no joy from the wiki list for doing this. AddMessage didn'r have much written on it. I tried adding system to a different tab but this addmessage function only posts to the general tab it seems.

Still no joy on different tab but I did get the text for displaying middle of screen without showing in chat Tab

/Script SystemMsgFrame:AddMessage(' Buff up Mr Forgetful. ')

sendMacro("SystemMsgFrame:AddMessage(' Buff up Mr Forgetful. ')") 
Remember no matter you do in life to always have a little fun while you are at it ;)

rock5

#6 Post by rock5 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Well you can send messages to guild channel no problem, just use SendChatMessage

As to sending directly to the other chat boxes, I found it! The chat frames are actually called 'ChatFrame1', 'ChatFrame2', etc.

So to send a message to the second chat window, use this.

ChatFrame2:AddMessage("message")
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

lisa

#7 Post by lisa » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:44 pm

rock5 wrote: As to sending directly to the other chat boxes, I found it! The chat frames are actually called 'ChatFrame1', 'ChatFrame2', etc.
Awesome, works great =)