MMORPG bot reverse engineering

Ask questions about cheating in any games you would like. Does not need to pertain to MicroMacro.
Administrator
Site Admin

MMORPG bot reverse engineering

#1 Post by Administrator » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 pm

I thought these videos were interesting, although video #1 could be better. There were far simpler and more effective ways he could have gone about it, and far more to explore and play with, but they are still quite informative. The video wasn't attempting to be a tutorial on how to reverse engineer something anyways.

There is quite a lot of valuable information here for everyone from botters, to regular players, and even the game developers. I do wish that he pointed out that the #1 way to prevent botting in games is simply to just make the game fun and not repetitive, but again that's getting a bit off topic for what he was really trying to convey.

beanybabe

Re: MMORPG bot reverse engineering

#2 Post by beanybabe » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 am

That makes you think twice. I have been wary of mm2 with its networking support and other features for fear or it being used to send data away.

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: MMORPG bot reverse engineering

#3 Post by Administrator » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:50 pm

That is a legitimate concern, but it is easy to quell. You can just go into the project's main.lua (or whichever file is being initiated) and just do this at the top of the file:

Code: Select all

network = nil;
This would cause the network module to be unloaded and destroyed, therefor preventing any network connections from being formed.

Alternatively you can compile MicroMacro without network support, but most users probably don't know how to do that.

edit:
You can now also set networkEnabled in config.lua to false to prevent registering network and socket modules at all. This change is available with version 1.96.2.