Is there a built-in lua hashing function?

Discuss, ask for help, share ideas, give suggestions, read tutorials, and tell us about bugs you have found with MicroMacro in here.

Do not post RoM-Bot stuff here. There is a subforum for that.
Forum rules
This is a sub-forum for things specific to MicroMacro.

This is not the place to ask questions about the RoM bot, which uses MicroMacro. There is a difference.
Sgraffite

Is there a built-in lua hashing function?

#1 Post by Sgraffite » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:52 pm

I was wondering if MicroMacro/lua has an included hashing function akin to MD5, SHA1, etc? Or do I need to get a 3rd party library to do it?

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Is there a built-in lua hashing function?

#2 Post by Administrator » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:28 pm

No, Lua does not natively have any sort of hashing function. For what purpose do you need it?

Typically, there's two types of hashing that are commonly used. One is generating a random hash to be used in place of a password (For, say, a login mechanism. You wouldn't want to store an actual password on the client side, so a server-generated random hash is fine). The other is when hashing a string always generates the same result.

A random generated hash can be made like this:

Code: Select all

-- Generates a random hash with the specified length.
-- If length is less than or equal to zero, or unspecified, 32 bytes will be assumed.
function random_hash(len)
  if( len == nil or len <= 0 ) then len = 32; end;
  local holder = ""; -- a string for holding our hash temporarily

-- create an array of all acceptable characters that can be put in our hash.
  hash_chars = {"0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "A", "B", "C", "D", "E",
                "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", "N", "O", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T",
                "U", "V", "W", "X", "Y", "Z"};

for i = 1, len do
    local index = math.random(1, #hash_chars);
    holder = holder .. hash_chars[index];
  end

return holder;
end
Then use it like this:

printf("Hash: %s", random_hash(16));
To generate a 16 byte random hash.

Now, the later type of hash also has two parts: reversible and one-way. A "reversible hash" would be more like an encryption or compression type function, where a one-way hash is like MD5. MicroMacro has a Rijndael encryption algorithm in it that could be used to create a reversible hash. As long as they don't have the key to it, it would not entirely be reversible.

Sgraffite

#3 Post by Sgraffite » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:45 pm

I was going to make a sort of pixel checksum to make sure I know if I ever switch targets, so the hash does not need to be reversible. Similar to getPixelChecksum() in autoit. I may not need this if target id stays the same after a character is killed and ressed repeatedly, but I have not tested that yet.

Basically I set it up where I have 3 healers, all who res a single level 1 char which I kill over and over. The problem arises when the character I'm killing gets disconnected as I will then auto-target and being slaughtering off the healers, which I don't want because then I have to run them all back.

So to prevent this I need a way that stops the script if the target ever changes.

Administrator
Site Admin

#4 Post by Administrator » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Essentially, you would be converting your bytes back into a 4-byte integer. That can be done pretty simply with math. Typically, the order is RGBA, but since we don't need the Alpha channel, we'll just kind of ignore it.

function getPixelInt(hdc, x, y)
  local r, g, b = getPixel(hdc, x, y);
  local retval = (r * 256 * 256) + (g * 256) + b;
  return retval;
end
The reason I chose to return the three color channels as opposed to a single integer color value is because of slight variations. It's simple to set an allowed range for red to be +-10 on a red variable, however, it's not so easy to do if it's a single integer. I'd still suggest doing something like this instead:

-- returns true if the two colors are within 'delta' variation
-- else, returns false
function compareColors(r1, g1, b1, r2, g2, b2, delta)
  -- if delta was not set, set it to 10.
  if( delta == nil ) then delta = 10; end;

if( math.abs(r2 - r1) <= delta and
      math.abs(g2 - g1) <= delta and
      math.abs(b2 - b2) <= delta )
    return true;
  else
    return false;
end