So... DDoS?

Administrator
Site Admin

So... DDoS?

#1 Post by Administrator » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Noticed a pretty sudden spike in bandwidth usage today. About 10 times normal. And 99% of it coming from Indonesia. As a result, I've banned some IP ranges that were involved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lamkefyned

Re: So... DDoS?

#2 Post by Lamkefyned » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:18 pm

And because we are going to attack with ddos? that I know this page is not as inportant. (no offense)

some funny?
If you think something is right just because everyone else believes,you're not thinking.

Administrator
Site Admin

#3 Post by Administrator » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:26 pm

You're right that this site isn't important enough to warrant an attack, but I went through about 20GB of traffic in only a few hours because of a handful of IPs constantly requesting the same file over and over again... hundreds of times.

Now, that file is only accessible after passing a CAPTCHA test so it cannot be accessed by bots. The result is that the site only gets 1/40th the bandwidth usage it would had I not put the CAPTCHA in place.

rock5

#4 Post by rock5 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:21 am

Well I noticed it. At the time about 1 in 2 clicks failed to connect. I was glad you fixed it soon after.
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

Lamkefyned

#5 Post by Lamkefyned » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:51 am

but the ddos ​​attack was on the main page or in the wiki or in the forum ...
If you think something is right just because everyone else believes,you're not thinking.

Administrator
Site Admin

#6 Post by Administrator » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 am

The file they were accessing was actually from a game that I'm hosting a mirror from. Some users of a community I'm part of made it and they did a great job so I offered to mirror the file for them since their server couldn't take it. It is a futuristic retro RTS similar to, say, Red Alert 2.

Screenshot: http://distortum.mysteria.cz/images/ps/scr1_2.jpg

The game is free so you can download if you want: http://www.solarstrike.net/prioritysurvive

Lamkefyned

#7 Post by Lamkefyned » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:45 am

aa well done