Search in Topic?

If you have any questions or suggestions for this website (including the main site, forums, wiki, and anything else), post here.
rock5

Search in Topic?

#1 Post by rock5 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Some of the topics in the forum are REALLY long. Sometimes I find myself wishing I could search for something in the topic I'm reading. Ever considered adding a "Search this Topic" box?
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.
  • How to: copy and paste in micromacro

Administrator
Site Admin

Re: Search in Topic?

#2 Post by Administrator » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but that would be up to the PHPBB team to implement.

rock5

#3 Post by rock5 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Oh, ok. I thought it might be some sort option you could enable.

I just did a search. It seems it is available with some styles. https://www.phpbb.com/support/documenta ... ums_topics
5.6.2. Forum and topic search

Some styles provide search fields on the forum view and the topic view. These fields allow you to perform a keyword search within the forum or within the current topic.
This topic show how to enable it I think, although it's a pretty old topic.
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2095765
  • Please consider making a small donation to me to support my continued contributions to the bot and this forum. Thank you. Donate
  • I check all posts before reading PMs. So if you want a fast reply, don't PM me but post a topic instead. PM me for private or personal topics only.

Administrator
Site Admin

#4 Post by Administrator » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Those instructions were kind of misleading; that only would show/hide the searchbox that was already being displayed.

After screwing around with it a bit, I was able to modify the search behavior so it will search within topic when used within a topic.

rock5

#5 Post by rock5 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:51 pm

I don't think that's a good solution. I'm pretty sure everyone would expect that when you type a search term in the main search box it will search all forums whether you are in a topic or not. I'd say if you can't add an extra search box then don't bother. Maybe you can add a check box next to the search box to indicate whether to search in the topic or not?

Administrator
Site Admin

#6 Post by Administrator » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:44 am

No checkbox, due to how PHPBB handles the hidden fields, but I was able to add a second searchbox that displays on topic pages only.

rock5

#7 Post by rock5 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:59 am

Not the best placement. I'd expect a "Search this topic" box to be a bit lower, maybe near the topic title but that will do. Thanks.