Possible ban counter measures

Runes of Magic/Radiant Arcana (http://www.runesofmagic.com)
starcraftfan87

Possible ban counter measures

#1 Post by starcraftfan87 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:38 pm

Hey guys,

First let me say I absolutely love rombot, really well programmed. I just had some ideas that might help not getting banned when using them in ROM. I have basic skills working with lua so by know means could I actually make these addons but I’m sure some of you guys around here will have more than enough experience.

My first idea revolves around the fact that to ban you the GM’s need proof your botting ie: have to see u botting. So with this in mind I wondered if there was a way to automatically log off when a GM logs in. I thought this could be achieved adding the GM’s to your friends list then if any “friends” log on have a script that logs your bot off.

My second idea really only applies to people who play a main character and run a bot or two in the background. It is my understanding that to get banned u have to be afk while botting, if u reply to a whisper from a GM while botting they can’t prove your botting cause your at your computer and could just be playing in a “bot like” fashion. So I just wondered if there was a way to forward whispers to a main character that way you can stop botting and reply promptly to an interrogating GM.

So these are just a few ideas I had, any elaboration or other ideas are welcomed and if anyone wants to try and actually make a addon with these ideas in mind even better!

keep up the good work with rombot, love it.

droppen

Re: Possible ban counter measures

#2 Post by droppen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:31 pm

The only good way i can think of is making a chat bot addon. I remember the good old days in wow botting, when we had a open source chatbot awnsering the gm's call's. Anyways, i dont think gm's talk to you before they ban you. So, best way to not get banned is not to get reported by other players

starcraftfan87

#3 Post by starcraftfan87 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 pm

thx for the info droppen, yea i'm not exaclty sure about their protocol for banning all i'm going by is what some people in game have said. Anyone know how they exactly go about banning people or are the GM's trying to keep that secret from the pople they are trying to catch?

droppen

#4 Post by droppen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 pm

I dont think theres any epic battles going on between GM's and botters. GM's are usually invisible when they look at your botting. And they usually dont bother. People that report botters are usually some 12 year olds that expect to get an epic reward for helping out GM's

starcraftfan87

#5 Post by starcraftfan87 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:55 am

droppen wrote:I dont think theres any epic battles going on between GM's and botters. GM's are usually invisible when they look at your botting. And they usually dont bother. People that report botters are usually some 12 year olds that expect to get an epic reward for helping out GM's
cool that makes me feel a little better. I guess the best statergy then is to not get reported. Anyone have any tips for making your bot look like a real player? or any other statergies to avoid gettin reported.

d003232

#6 Post by d003232 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:49 am

starcraftfan87 wrote:cool that makes me feel a little better. I guess the best statergy then is to not get reported. Anyone have any tips for making your bot look like a real player? or any other statergies to avoid gettin reported.
Read here.
The RoM Bot Online Wiki needs your help!

starcraftfan87

#7 Post by starcraftfan87 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:48 am

WOW, thank you so much for that link VERY informative, i would go as far to say every botter should read it.

copenhagen69

#8 Post by copenhagen69 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:09 pm

well as a person who has had a few accounts banned ... 1 for botting and a couple others for telling the GMs to blow me ill bot on all my others ...

they do not send a /tell in game to talk to you and see if you are there .... they just watch (if they even do that) i think they just count the number of complaints and if they are in a bad mood ban you without ever checking up on you.

i botted a lot on 1 account took about a week off and came back to find i was banned. when i sent in my ticket they could not tell me anything specific besides the generic you were botting so we banned you. nothing about when or where i was seen doing it.

the GMs in this game are a joke and dont know how to do their job or treat anyone with respect.

starcraftfan87

#9 Post by starcraftfan87 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm

hi copenhagen, maybe you could help me with some other things I was wondering about, you sound like you've got some experience. My main concern is my other non-botting accounts being banned because of connections with the bot accounts ie: use same IP/sent millions of gold between them etc. So I really want to know to what extent they banned you. Is it just the character that was caught/reported to be botting or the whole account or the account and other accounts attached to it by emails or IP etc?

droppen

#10 Post by droppen » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:32 pm

I think botting is the next generation of playing MMORPG i mean, botting is the revolution of playing mmorpg. it leaves people more time to like, go outside and socialize with other people. People should find more fun in automating their daily lives than doing what your required to achieve a certain goal.

copenhagen69

#11 Post by copenhagen69 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:21 pm

starcraftfan87 wrote:hi copenhagen, maybe you could help me with some other things I was wondering about, you sound like you've got some experience. My main concern is my other non-botting accounts being banned because of connections with the bot accounts ie: use same IP/sent millions of gold between them etc. So I really want to know to what extent they banned you. Is it just the character that was caught/reported to be botting or the whole account or the account and other accounts attached to it by emails or IP etc?

well when they banned my main account thats all they banned until i got lippy with their ticket support people and then they went after my other accounts ... but only the ones that started with the same account name and just different numbers ... they did not ban my accounts with different account names.

so i am willing to bet that if they ban one of your accounts they wont attack them all, just the one they caught ...

starcraftfan87

#12 Post by starcraftfan87 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:19 am

Thanks heaps copenhagen, that makes me feel a lot better. I really don't mind if my bots get banned I’ll just power level another 3 in an hour anyway then I’m back and botting again. I will still bot responsibly and not 24/7 but this information makes me less worried about botting, thanks.

S3v3n11

#13 Post by S3v3n11 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:45 am

I have asked this question in the past but never gotten a response so I will ask again. Is there any way to tell if a player character is within a certain radius of the bot? If so we can use this information to "pause" the bot or log out. I used to build this into all my macroquest macros while I was playing EQ.

copenhagen69

#14 Post by copenhagen69 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:15 pm

S3v3n11 wrote:I have asked this question in the past but never gotten a response so I will ask again. Is there any way to tell if a player character is within a certain radius of the bot? If so we can use this information to "pause" the bot or log out. I used to build this into all my macroquest macros while I was playing EQ.
well there is but it would be toooo much of a pain in the ass to make. plus GMs dont come near you they float in the sky or stuff like that so its kind of pointless in this game.

S3v3n11

#15 Post by S3v3n11 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:11 am

copenhagen69 wrote:
S3v3n11 wrote:I have asked this question in the past but never gotten a response so I will ask again. Is there any way to tell if a player character is within a certain radius of the bot? If so we can use this information to "pause" the bot or log out. I used to build this into all my macroquest macros while I was playing EQ.
well there is but it would be toooo much of a pain in the ass to make. plus GMs dont come near you they float in the sky or stuff like that so its kind of pointless in this game.
True you could not detect a GM but a GM should not bother to watch you unless someone reports you. So my theory is that if we can pause/logout the bot when a player character is near you will not get reported.